Creamy Broccoli Ginger Soup
Nutrition Highlights(per serving)
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Prep10 min, Cook20 min
Servings2 (1 cup each)
This soup is jam-packed with brain healthy ingredients, starting with its broccoli base. Broccoli is part of the powerful cruciferous clan. According to , crucifers such as broccoli and cauliflower are winners for cognitive performance. Eating half a cup a day of broccoli can shave two years off your cognitive life! Thus, there's a brain health boost in eating at least one serving a day of cruciferous veggies (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts)—you can get vitamin C, folate, fiber, and potassium.
Additionally, fresh ginger root offers natural anti-inflammatory benefits, as well as aiding in good digestion and feeding the friendly bacteria in your gut. This all bodes well for brain health because when you keep inflammation down and your gut happy, your mental health benefits, too.
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low-fat cow's milk or milk alternative (optional)
- In a steamer pot, add water and broccoli to the colander. Over high heat, bring to a boil and steam broccoli for a few minutes until bright green. Be sure not to overcook until broccoli is mushy. Instead, you can microwave the broccoli—no water needed—for one to two minutes to steam it.
- Place the cooked broccoli in a food processor or blender. Add a cup of the cooking water, reserving the rest for later. If you microwaved it, add plain water. Pulse for a minute to begin to puree.
- Add the ginger, Sriracha, garlic powder, salt, and cheese. Pulse a few more minutes. If consistency is too thick, add the remaining half cup of water. For a creamier consistency, stir in milk.
- Spoon into bowls and serve warm.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
This soup is very versatile. You can add another vegetable with broccoli, such as red peppers, carrots, or mushrooms, and puree it in.
Up the protein with silken tofu or even a hint of ricotta cheese. At the end, you can toss in a handful of white Northern beans or chickpeas for additional texture, protein, and fiber.
Flavor up your bowl with smoked paprika or curry powder for a more ethnic flavor. Instead of Parmesan cheese, sprinkle in nutritional yeast for a vegan hint of cheesy flavor, plus protein and B12!
Cooking and Servings Tips
By steaming the broccoli first, it breaks down the cellulose a bit, making it easier to puree. If you have a Vitamix or another blender than heats soups as they puree, feel free to throw the broccoli in raw.
This soup can be served warm or cold, whatever is preferred. Serve with grilled fish, chicken breast, or tofu.
Video: How to Make Excellent Broccoli Cheese Soup | Allrecipes.com
How to Make Pink Hot Chocolate
How to Make Studying Easy
The Art of Shaving Pure Badger Travel Brush
How to Make Crayon Slime
Google Removes Jennifer Lawrence Hacked Photo Links
Diane Krugers Fail-Safe Trick For Smartening Up Ripped Jeans
How to Make Sure Your alli Pills Are Safe
Chris Pratt and Anna Faris: a timeline of their relationship
How to Care for a Fancy Rat
Products For Superior Styling
Beyonce is bringing back this iconic noughties bag