How to Change Startup Programs on Your Computer
This wikiHow teaches you how to stop programs from automatically starting up when you turn on your computer. You can do this on both Windows and Mac computers.
Open Start .Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
Typetask managerinto Start.This will search your computer for the Task Manager app.
ClickTask Manager.It's the computer-shaped icon at the top of the Start window. Doing so will open Task Manager.
- You can also pressCtrl+Shift+Delto open Task Manager directly.
- Task Manager may take a few seconds to finish loading.
Click theStartuptab.This tab is at the top of the Task Manager window.
Select a program.Click the name of a program that you want to disable.
- You can see a program's impact on your computer's startup speed to the right of the program's name (e.g., a high-impact program has "High" to the right of its name).
ClickDisable.It's in the bottom-right corner of the window. Doing so will prevent the program from turning on the next time that you start your computer.
- If you want to turn back on a disabled program, you can select it and then clickEnablein the bottom-right corner instead.
Open the Apple Menu .Click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen. A drop-down menu will appear.
ClickSystem Preferences….It's near the top of the drop-down menu. The System Preferences window will open.
ClickUsers & Groups.This icon resembles the silhouettes of two people.
Click the tab.It's at the top of the window.
Select an application.Click on an application that you want to prevent from starting up when you turn on your computer.
Click .It's below the bottom-left corner of the startup program section of the window. Doing so will remove the program from the list, meaning that it will no longer start automatically when you turn on your Mac.
- If you instead want to add a program to your Mac's startup list, click+here, then select a program from the resulting list.
Close programs before turning off your Mac.Your Mac will re-open programs that you recently had open if you don't close them before turning off your Mac. There are a couple of ways to do this:
- Apps- Programs found in the Dock or Launchpad that didn't come from the App Store (e.g., Audacity or Microsoft Word). Click the Apple Menu, clickForce Quit, then click an app and clickForce Quit.
- Menu bar programs- These are programs like iCloud that you'll find in the top-right corner of the screen. Click the program's icon, then clickQuitin the drop-down menu.
QuestionHow do I create an icon for a program on my computer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOn the home page, right click anywhere on the screen, and move the cursor down to "New." Select "Shortcut." Click "Browse" to find the program you want the icon for. Click "Next," pick a name you want for the program, press enter again, and the icon will appear on your screen.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I create an icon for a program on my computer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on what type of computer you have. Different computers have different ways of changing icons, so look up instructions specific to the computer you have, e.g. "How to change program icons on a Mac."Thanks!
How do I start a used computer I was given but requires an unknown password open. It has Windows Vista. I don't care about the data but I do want the programs.
I can't open task manager. What is the best alternative?
OnWindows, press , , andShiftat the same time to open Task Manager, then click theStartuptab to view startup programs. Enable or disable these programs for startup by clicking a program and then clickingEnableorDisablein the bottom-right corner.
On aMac, openSystem Preferences, clickUsers & Groups, clickLogin Items, and check or uncheck programs to enable or disable them at startup. You can also add programs to this list by clicking the+icon below the list of programs and then selecting a program.
- To temporarily disable startup programs on your Mac, press and hold theShiftkey before clicking the sign-in arrow, then release the key once your Mac's Dock loads.
- Not all programs that automatically start will use your computer's Startup Programs list as a reference. If you have a program that isn't listed in the Startup or Login Items section of your computer's settings, you need to open that program's settings and disable the startup prompt from there. This will vary from program to program.
- Disabling a startup program in the middle of its start-up process may cause errors, especially on Windows.
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , 中文: , Français: , Русский: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية:
of How to Change Startup Programs on Your Computer was reviewed on October 9, 2019.
Video: How to Change, Add, or Remove Startup Programs in Windows 7
Major game studio Riot Games apologizes after being accused of sexist culture, vows to change
7 Things You Should Never Post On Facebook When Youre Going Through A Divorce
How to Stay Motivated in Sales
Oligonol Health Benefits and Uses
Eight crucial secrets for making your eyes more expressive
How to Do Autumn Makeup
How to Cleanse the Liver
Stop Making These Winter Skin Care Mistakes
Latte di mandorle e orzata: perché non sono la stessa bevanda
Model Moment: Gigi Hadid